jueves, 6 de octubre de 2016

BOOK OF THE MOMENT: Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

As an assigment of the Electivo lll subject in college, I chose this book from the Library. I was so glad of the outcome of this assignment (as I have never been before). I have to say I got hooked since the very first word.

The story centers on Jean-Baptiste Grenouille, a young orphan who is born with an exceptional sense of smell. Grenoullie is able to distinguish a range of scents in the world around him. He can smell everything. Even things he does not know yet. Grenouille becomes a perfumer when he discovers how to get and maintain the scent of beautiful women. With all of these thoughts that different scents bring to him, he discovers new features of his talent. Specially one, that obsesses him widly: being able to change people's perspectives about him. To achieve this he murders a series of young women until he finds the right one that will hopefully give him what he wants: power in society. 


This book was adapted to a film version. I have to say that I saw the film first, and it has always been one of my favorites. Whenever I catch it in TV I see the entire 2 and a half hours. 


The book was not left behind (I guess that's why the movie is so good, in my opinion). I loved the way the author develops his ideas, giving a lot of characteristics of the environment or the feeling of the characters, almost in a hectic way, to give you this sensation of madness. This, because the main character, Grenouille, was a bit mad since the very beginning of his life. 


It's true that I'm not very good at reading, I lack in it sometimes, but this particular book, I wanted to read at all times. I wanted to know how the story continued! (Even though I already sort of knew, because I saw the movie). It was just the way it was written and displayed that kept me so interested. Also the movie lacks a lot of the scenes that the book originally has. 
SO the big question is: How many stars do I give to "The Perfume" book? I say it with no hesitation: 5 stars!!!!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario