jueves, 6 de octubre de 2016

MOVIE OF THE MOMENT: The Babadook

I recently got a Netflix account, since I am a huge fan of audiovisual content. One of these days my mother, sister and I, who are movie junkies as well, decided to watch a movie to take advantage of the new purchase. We are all fans of Horror Films, so I directed the cursor directly to that category. I came across this movie and I inmediately looked for online reviews, and to my surprise, it had very positive feedback. And I wasn't dissapointed.

The-Babadook-Poster.jpgThe Babadook is a psychological horror film (my favorite kind). The story follows the life of Amelia Vanek, a busy and exhausted widow with her six-year-old son Samuel after the death of her husband Oskar. Samuel is a very special kid. He believes there is a monster in his room, like any other kid of his age. But this goes beyond that. So much that he builds weapons to fight it and protect his mother.

One night, Amelia reads Samuel a book for him to sleep. Mister Babadook, a tall pale humanoid who scares its victims after they read the book. The book has mysterious and disturbing images, while Sam is convinced that the Babadook is real, which leads Amelia to often have insomnia as she tries to comfort him.

And that's how the horror film begins. Strange things start to occur in the house, as if they had a ghost presence. Sleepless nights until Samuel's biggest fear begins to become real, and Amelia believes in it more each day. 
What I liked about this movie a lot, and what usually calls my attention, is the fact that it doesn't require loud noises and sudden images to make you feel scared or disturbed. Unlike other commercial terror movies. 
All this being said, you must watch it to decide if this sounds like something you would like. Personally, I give this movie 4 stars. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario